Community Communications (Organization), a dynamic and growing public media organization, is hiring a Managing Editor to lead a motivated group of reporters and editors in a thriving civic news environment.
We are looking for someone who runs toward the news, who can meet the pace and chaos of the news cycle with clear direction, and whose curiosity pushes them past headlines and talking points. We care as much about why news happens as how it does. We believe local journalism should illuminate complex issues, hold power to account and connect audiences with civic life. And we believe local journalism should represent the communities it serves, both in coverage and reporting staff.
Our Organization provides news and information services across broadcast and digital platforms, including its two radio broadcast signals (WMFE/WMFV), social media, podcast and the web. The service is available throughout the three metro counties of Orlando, as well as the outer areas of Central Florida which include Daytona Beach, Lakeland, the Space Coast, and The Villages.
Are you a seasoned journalist, influential leader and experienced manager with a strong editorial vision?
The Managing Editor will be instrumental in developing and implementing a newsroom strategy that ensures WMFE’s service connects audiences with the issues they care most about in their communities. The successful candidate will lead local news coverage across all platforms: radio and digital audio, web, social media, and occasionally video. You’ll manage our team of talented reporters and editors. And you’ll work in a collaborative environment.
This job requires good news judgment, the urgency of a quick-turn digital environment, editorial guidance and management skills — all in keeping with the highest standards of journalistic integrity. We expect the Managing Editor will become an editorial leader within Public Media and across the state.
What You’ll Do
- Set the vision for the newsroom coverage and strategy for how to achieve that aligns with the Organization’s mission
- Manage and train professional reporters, editors and interns, and work with them to create and meet professional growth goals
- Maintain excellence in coverage, enforce deadlines and always push for the best possible story
- Supervise digital news content across platforms including podcasts, wmfe.org, editorial partnerships and other activities.
- Support WMFE/WMFV’s community engagement efforts through occasional public appearances
- Engage with social media as an editorial tool in collaboration with our Communications staff
- Work with the Organization’s leadership team to maintain a unified digital presence for news and cultural information
What We’ll Do
- Invest in your professional growth through individual direction and training
- Keep you connected with our industry through conferences and professional associations.
- Provide you an excellent benefits package that includes paid time off, health insurance and 401(k)
- Invite you into a culture that is supportive, transparent, experimental and accountable
- Minimum of 10 years of professional journalism experience
- Experience/accomplishment in multimedia reporting
- Knowledge of content management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and managing ambitious projects while maintaining an ambitious daily news cycle.
- Experience as an editor or supervising producer.
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgement
- Committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in both news coverage and the team you manage
- Broad interest in news, investigative journalism, public policy, arts and culture
If this is you, send a cover letter, resume and three references to:
Community Communications is an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in its workplace and offers an excellent benefits package.